In this lesson, we are going to learn about ‘Use Of Used To‘. ‘Used To’ refers to any past habits which were repeatedly done in the past.
Use Of Used To
we use ‘used to’ in conversation to tell about our past habits which can’t be adopted again. for instance; My grandmother used to tell a story at my bedtime. In this sentence we can assume two conditions here first that grandmother is no more and second is that we can say that grandmother can’t tell a story properly.
We can understand the ‘Use Of Used To’ with some examples, so let’s start learning:
- I used to go with my father in Kumbh fair in my childhood.
- I used to play volleyball during my schooling.
- She used to smoke before.
- She used to drink with his last job colleague.
- You used to play Guitar with this band.
- Mayank used to sing so beautifully before.
- We used to take some extra money with us.
- We used to go for dinner every night.
- They used to borrow some money and forget to pay.
- A train used to run by coal in ancient time.
- He used to spend a lot of money on parties.
- He used to tell a lie a for not completing the homework.
Now, start having a conversation for a plural subject with help of it:
Question: Used you to __the first form of the verb__?
Reply positively: Yes, I used to _ the second form of the verb__.
Reply negatively: No, I used not to __the first form of the verb__.
Now, start having a conversation for a singular subject with help of it:
Question: Used he/ she to __the first form of the verb__?
Reply positively: Yes, he/ she used to __the first form of the verb__.
Reply negatively: No, he/ she used not to __the first form of the verb__.